Small Things

At a meeting I attended of DBSA there was a young man that was talking about his issues and the problems he faced.   As he was talking it made me reflect of my own situation and that ways that I cope and manage my own illness.   Well Shortly after that I had my first major episode since the hospital and it was different.   I commented on one of my previous blog posts about it.  The one thing that has helped me through those hard times has been something I have picked up and now reading a book on it.   The idea is not to be focused on where we want to be or what our big goal is.  The idea is to be focused on the small steps I am going to take.   If we want to do something large we have to break it up into smaller steps or else we are going to great over whelmed and we will never accomplish our goals.   When I was at the hospital I was focused on what is my next step.   I was focused on what I could do right now.   When I woke up in the morning I took a shower and then I took my meds and had breakfast.   Then focus on what my first group was to be.   When I started to focus on what was next or what my future steps are I became over whelmed.   Many people want me to plan weeks or Months in advance.   I do not do that.   I focus on today and that is it.   I am a firm beleiver in that if I focus on the past or the future today will past and then I will still be focus on the past and losing out in opportunites for growth that I have right now.   I have experienced and heard many people talk about how they can not get out of bed in the morning.   When this happens I take very small steps to get me moving.   One of my favorite author said that many times the best thing we can do is just open the shutters in the morning.    So when we are faced with problems and issues and all kinds of things are falling down on us.   Lets focus on what we can change and what we can do by taking those baby steps.   Remember there is no such thing as too small of of baby steps.    Even if we move one centimeter it is progress.   Many of you might say well I take three steps forward and then two steps back.   If I remember right that is still progress.  Sometimes the backwards steps teach us more than the forward steps.   So take them as learning moments.  I know I have and have learned alot about the disorder and what I need to do to live with it.   So do not be afraid.   Lets take those small baby steps because in them is healing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not the same

Energy and Mood. Are they linked?

Your Energy Cycle