How Depression Feels and How to Support it
About 15 years ago when I was going through the first rounds
of severe depression due to the death of my mother and not excelling in
school. Many of other aspects of my
life was failing as well. I had the
great opportunity to visit with a very wise psychologist. He gave me some of the best pieces of
information that I have every received and I would like to share this with
you. In this first picture this is how
depression feels. (please excuse the bad drawings. Drawing is not my strength)
You feel alone, you
feel scared, and you feel like there is no way out. You are very frustrated and like there is no
hope in sight and no matter what you do there is no hope.
So, then you start to dig and start to force your way
out. You think I am going to solve this
and find a solution right now and the find the cure for this terrible
illness. The truth is that it gets you
no where. You still feel alone and help
less and that no matter what you do you still feel like you can not do
anything.
Then all of sudden you find secret to this illness or
problem that it has a network. Now the
network is not up but it is around you.
You invite other into your network and you invite others to come help
you. Then all of a sudden you have tons
of connections and you are no longer alone.

You feel happy and joyful. Now it does not mean that this going
away but it makes it
bearable and that you can survive every day with it. The key to this is that we have to reach out
and we have to enjoy the company of others to make this work. With out this connection we would be like in
the first picture hopeless and scared.
I know me personally I would rather be around people and enjoying life
than being alone and scared. Please
share.



Comments
Post a Comment